- book review: Bücher: "Alfred Hitchcock und die Musik," von Eva Rieger
- author(s): Frank Kaempfer
- journal: Neue Zeitschrift für Musik (01/May/1997)
- issue: volume 158, issue 3, pages 73-74
- journal ISSN: 0945-6945
- publisher: Schott Musik International
- keywords: 20th century music, Analysis, Compositional Techniques, Cultural Influences, Film Music, Music Criticism, Music and Other Literary/Performing/Visual Arts, Musical Influences, Musicology, Eva Rieger, Sexuality, Alfred Hitchcock
Reviews a scholarly study (Kleine, 1996, 256p, DM38.00) which is subtitled "A Study of the Relationship Between Film, Music, and Sex" and is written from what is described as a feminist or gender studies viewpoint. Reports that the thesis is advanced that musical rhetoric serves to illuminate relationships between the sexes as well in the films of Alfred Hitchcock. Finds much of interest in the book for film music specialists.