Southampton is the largest city in the county of Hampshire on the south coast of England, and is situated 75 miles south-west of London and 19 miles north-west of Portsmouth.
In February 1932, the Hitchcock family departed from Southampton on a long round trip aboard the Atlantis, travelling to Africa, South America and Mexico.
Alfred Hitchcock enjoyed the luxury of the transatlantic ocean liners and regularly sailed into Southampton when returning to England after moving to Hollywood.
There is conflicting information about exactly which ship was used — author Gary Giblin names it as the Cunard Line's RMS Aquitania whilst a contemporary newspaper account says filming took place aboard the RMS Berengaria. Evidence to support Giblin's statement is that the Aquitania spent time being overhauled in a dry dock in 1928.
- Langley Court, Liss, Hampshire (26.5 miles)
- Winter's Grace, Shamley Green, Surrey (43.2 miles)
- Pinewood Studios, Buckinghamshire (59 miles)
- 19 Sandycombe Road, Twickenham, London (61 miles)
- Roehampton Club, London (63 miles)
Notes & References
- Alfred Hitchcock's London: A Reference Guide to Locations (2009) by Gary Giblin, pages 289-90
- British Pathé: The Mighty Aquitania 1928