Big Basin Redwoods State Park, California
Big Basin Redwoods State Park is a state park in the U.S. state of California, located in Santa Cruz County, about 22 miles northwest of Santa Cruz and 60 miles south of San Francisco.
Big Basin is approximately 20 miles from Alfred Hitchcock's former estate in Scotts Valley.
Although the film implies Scottie and Madeleine are visiting Muir Woods, located north of San Francisco, the National Park Service refused to grant a filming permit for that location and the Big Basin Redwoods State Park was used instead.
Filming took place along the Redwood Trail and featured the giant Sequoia Redwood tree known as the "Father Of The Forest", estimated to be over 2,000 years old.
En route to Big Basin, Madeleine and Scottie are seen driving south along Highway 9.
- Scotts Valley, California (14.4 miles)
- Cypress Lawn Memorial Park, Colma, California (36.9 miles)
- Bethlehem Shipyards, San Francisco, California (41.8 miles)
- Mission Dolores Church and Cemetery, San Francisco, California (42.6 miles)
- 17 Mile Drive, Monterey Peninsula, California (42.9 miles)
Selection of film frames: Big Basin Redwoods State Park, California