Ellen Albert (b. 1897) née Fitzpatrick
Following her mother's death, it appears her father emigrated to America and Ellen was looked after and financially supported by members of the extended Hitchcock family.
According to biographer Patrick McGilligan, Ellen "briefly moved in with the Leytonstone branch when the future director was a young boy". Whilst this may have been the case, the 1901 Census lists Ellen living with her uncle Alfred in Bermondsey.
By 1911 when she was aged 13, Ellen was a boarder at St. Mary's Convent, Battersea Park Road, London.
She married Gerhard Nicholaus Quirin Albert (b. 1895) in 1925 and had at least two sons. Gerhard worked in the Merchant Navy and died aboard the tanker ship Circe Shell in 1936.
Ellen died in 1983.
- daughter of Stephen Fitzpatrick (b. ~1869) and Ellen Fitzpatrick (b. 1866) née Hitchcock
- cousin of director Alfred Joseph Hitchcock (b. 1899)
- 24/Dec/1897 in West Ham district
Gerhard Nicholaus Quirin Albert (b. 1895)
- born 03/Aug/1895 in London
- served in the Merchant Navy and achieved the rank of Master
- married 1925 to Ellen Fitzpatrick
- died 25/Jul/1936 at sea aboard the tanker ship Circe Shell
- probate granted 26/Oct/1936 to his widow, Ellen — effects worth £2,674 16s. 2d.
The following likely children were found during research, but birth certificates were not obtained to confirm the names of the parents.
- born 27/Dec/1926
- served as a merchant seaman during World War Two
- possibly married 1955 to Gwyneth M. Ellis in Cardiganshire, Wales
- born 21/Oct/1935
- possibly married 1963 to Gaynor Patricia Chapman (b. ~1935)
- possibly married 1974 to Jeannette Childs (b. ~1937)
- died 03/Apr/2008 in London
- died 1983
Following the death of her mother, Ellen is living with her uncle Alfred.
- address: 79 Bermondsey New Road
- Alfred Hitchcock (aged 36) — head, occupation: fishmonger
- John Hitchcock (aged 30) — brother, occupation: fishmonger
- Thomas Gollop (aged 23) — step-son, occupation: fishmonger
- Ettie Gollop (aged 21) — step-daughter, occupation: housekeeper
- Nellie Fitzpatrick (aged 7) — niece
- Lizzie Satchell (aged 16) — domestic servant
11 Campion Road, Wandsworth, London
- Alfred C. Hitchcock (born 16 December 1888) — fish merchant (retired)
- John S. Hitchcock (born 21 October 1864) — director of fish company (retired)
- Sophia M. Hitchcock (born 29 June 1882)
- closed record
- Ellen Albert (born 24 December 1897) — widow
- closed record
- closed record
- Emma Rhodes (born 9 January 1869) — widow
Notes & References
- An unverified source has stated that Ellen was adopted by her uncle John and his wife Sophia.
- Birth registered Q1 1898 West Ham. Date of birth taken from 1939 Registry, however her date of birth given as 06/Feb/1898 death registry entry.
- As recorded on his Merchant Seaman record. Birth registered Q3 1895 Fulham, London. Oddly, no Census records for 1901 or 1911 were found for Gerhard, so the names of his parents are currently unknown.
- Identity certificate #21557. Second Mate certificate issued 1918. First Mate certificate issued 1920. Master certificate issued 1923.
- Marriage registered Q3 1925 Wansworth.
- Birth register Q1 1927 Richmond Upon Surrey.
- Date of birth given on death registry entry.
- Marriage registered Q2 1963 Surrey Northern. Gaynor seemingly died in 2000.
- Marriage registered Q2 1974 Richmond Upon Thames.
- Death registered Q2 1983 Richmond Upon Thames.