Gough Street, San Francisco, California
Gough Street is located in the Hayes Valley area of San Francisco.
The McKittrick Hotel
Known locally as the Henry J. Fortmann Mansion, 1007 Gough Street was used as the location of the McKittrick Hotel in Vertigo. When Scottie parks up opposite the hotel, St. Paulus' is visible behind him. Location filming took place on Wednesday 2nd October, 1957.
The property was vacant at the time of filming and was destroyed by fire a short time later. By the early 1960s, it had been demolished as part of a redevelopment of the area and the plot where the mansion once stood is now school sports field.
St. Paulus' German Evangelican Lutheran Church
Located at 950 Gough Street, the church is visible in the background when Scottie parks up to follow Madeleine into the McKittrick Hotel. The predominantly redwood building burned down in 1995 and is currently a vacant lot.
- Sutter Street, San Francisco, California (0.6 miles)
- California Street, San Francisco, California (0.9 miles)
- Powell Street, San Francisco, California (0.9 miles)
- Union Square, San Francisco, California (1 mile)
- Mason Street, San Francisco, California (1 mile)
Selection of film frames: Gough Street, San Francisco, California
Notes & References
- ↑ Vertigo: The Making of a Hitchcock Classic (1998) by Dan Auiler, page 77
- ↑ Footsteps in the Fog: Alfred Hitchcock's San Francisco (2002) by Jeff Kraft & Aaron Leventhal, pages 105-6
- ↑ Footsteps in the Fog: Alfred Hitchcock's San Francisco (2002) by Jeff Kraft & Aaron Leventhal, page 104