Adam Hitchcock (b. 16??)
Little is currently known of the life of Adam Hitchcock, the sixth great grandfather of film director Alfred Hitchcock.
He was born in Essex — probably in Dedham — sometime in the first quarter of the 17th century.
As Adam is the only Hitchcock named in the earliest surviving parish records from Dedham, the baptismal record for daughter Susan indicates he was married twice and his first wife was named Susan. The records also give his surname as "Hitchcocke" , "Hitchecoke" and "Hitchkock".
His second wife was given as a widow at the time of her death in 1695, meaning Adam died before then.
- not known
- date of birth unknown, but likely before or around 1625
- born in Essex (likely Dedham or Lawford)
- date of marriage unknown, but likely around 1645
n.b. the spelling of her name varies widely in the records
- likely born in Lawford
- married 1658 to Adam Hitchcock in Lawford, Essex
- died 1695 and buried 10/Feb/1695 at St. Mary the Virgin, Dedham
- born around 1647
- baptised 19/Sep/1647 at St. Mary the Virgin, Dedham
- born around 1660
- baptised 06/Jan/1661 at St. Mary the Virgin, Dedham
- married 1695 to Hannah Mouse
- married 1711 to Ann Green
- father of John Hitchcock (b. ~1721) and Adam Hitchcock (b. ~1723)
- died around 1726
- born around 1663
- baptised 19/Jul/1663 at St. Mary the Virgin, Dedham
- possibly married 1663 to Thomas King
- fifth great grandfather of director Alfred Hitchcock (b. 1899)
- born around 1665
- baptised 14/Feb/1665 at St. Mary the Virgin, Dedham
- worked as a clothier
- married 11/Apr/1689 to Mary Sanders
- married 24/Nov/1692 to Elizabeth Baker
- father to William Hitchcock (b. ~1690), Elizabeth Hitchcock (b. 1693), Adam Hitchcock (b. ~1695) and John Hitchcock (b. ~1696)
- died 1698 and buried 06/Mar/1698 at St. Mary the Virgin, Dedham
- born around 1667
- married 24/Nov/1692 to Abraham Ham
- date of death unknown, but between 1666 and 1695
Notes & References
- Source: Boyd's Marriage Index 1538-1840. Names given as Adam Hitchcock and Tomsin Cock.
- Source: SEAX D/P 26/1/2, page 23
- Source: SEAX D/P 26/1/2, page 54
- Died 1710.
- Died 1741.
- Died unmarried around 1744.
- Baptised 02/May/1723. Died a few months after birth and buried 29/Aug/1723.
- Source: SEAX D/P 26/1/2, page 58
- Source: SEAX D/P 26/1/2, baptisms page 58
- Born around 1658. Died 1692.
- After William's death, Elizabeth remarried to Richard Micklefield.
- Probate record entry listed for 1698 in Dedham.