Sophia Magdalen Hitchcock (b. 1882) née Scholles
(Redirected from Sophia Magdalen Scholles (b. 1882))
Sophia Magdalen Scholles, daughter of German-born publican Martin Scholles and his wife Sophia, married John Silvester Hitchcock in 1906.
According to biographer Patrick McGilligan:
Uncle John was married to a well-educated linguist who had taught English in France and Germany. Though childless, they doted on their nieces and nephews.
She died in 1945 aged 65.
- daughter of German baker and publican Martin Scholles (b. ~1844) and wife Sophia Scholles (b. ~1848) née Pausey, who married 11/Apr/1875 at St Luke's, Chelsea, London
- by marriage, aunt to director Alfred Joseph Hitchcock (b. 1899)
- Joseph Martin Scholles (b. 1876)
- Martin Valentine Scholles (b. 1881)
- Amelia Christina Scholles (b. 1885)
- born 29/Jun/1882
- born 1864
- son of Joseph Hitchcock (b. ~1829) and Ann Hitchcock (b. ~1827) née Mahoney
- brother of Charles Joseph Hitchcock (b. 1852), Mary Hitchcock (b. 1854), Joseph Hitchcock (b. 1857), Alfred Hitchcock (b. 1860), William Hitchcock (b. 1862), Ellen Hitchcock (b. 1866), Emma Mary Hitchcock (b. 1869) and Kate Hitchcock (b. 1872)
- married in 1906 to Sophia Magdalen Scholles
- died 1949 aged 84
- died 09/Sep/1945 aged 65 at Putney Hospital
- probate granted 14/Mar/1946 to her husband John Silvester Hitchcock (retired company director), estate worth £914 17s. 10d.
- address: public house, Union Street, Mile End Old Town
- Marin Scholles (aged 47) — head, occupation: publican
- Sophia Scholles (aged 43) — wife
- Joseph M. Scholles (aged 15) — son, occupation: solicitor's clerk
- Martin V. Scholles (aged 10) — son
- Sophia Scholles (aged 8) — daughter
- Amelia Scholles (aged 5) — daughter
- Lena Prace (aged 19) — servant (domestic)
- address: 395 North End Road, Fulham
- John Silvester Hitchcock (aged 46) — head, occupation: fishmonger and poulterer
- Sophia Magdalen Hitchcock (aged 28) — wife, occupation: assisting in business
- William Hitchcock (aged 22) — nephew, occupation: assisting in business (unmarried)
- Lilian Farmer (aged 31) — occupation: cashier in business
- Mary O'Hagan (aged 30) — occupation: assisting in business
- Erma Ledwell (aged 35) — servant (general domestic)
11 Campion Road, Wandsworth, London
- Alfred C. Hitchcock (born 16 December 1888) — fish merchant (retired)
- John S. Hitchcock (born 21 October 1864) — director of fish company (retired)
- Sophia M. Hitchcock (born 29 June 1882)
- closed record
- Ellen Albert (born 24 December 1897) — widow
- closed record
- closed record
- Emma Rhodes (born 9 January 1869) — widow
- No 1901 Census entry found — presumably this is when she was teaching abroad?
Notes & References
- Son of farmer Valentine Scholles. Died 23/Jul/1901. Probate granted 16/Aug/1901 with effects worth £123 15s.
- Daughter of stationer Robert Pausey. Died 26/Dec/1918. Probate granted 27/Jan/1919 with effects worth £111 11s. 2d.
- Birth registered Q1 1876 Kensington. Worked as a baker. Married in 1902 to Anna Josephine Stilz (b. 1878) [reg. Q2 1902 Islington]. Father to Joseph Arthur Scholles (b. ~1907), Doris Sophie Scholles (b. ~1908) and Marie Elizabeth Scholles (b. ~1910). Died 08/Nov/1960 aged 84 [reg. Q4 1960 Essex South Western]. Probate granted 25/Jan/1961 with effects worth £2,980 5s. 1d.
- Birth registered Q1 1881 Camberwell. Married in 1912 to Edith Caroline Bamford (b. 1888) [reg. Q2 1912 St. Olave Southwark]. Died 1941 aged 60 [reg. Q2 1860 Bermondsey].
- Birth registered Q2 1885 Edmonton. Also known as "Millie". Married in 1911 to baker Henry Adam Stilz (b. 1885) [reg. Q1 1911 St. Olave Southwark]. The couple appear to have amended their surname to "Stiles" after the marriage. They had at least 9 children, 4 of whom died during the Luftwaffe bombing raid on London on 10/Sep/1940 [source user "Hugh_LEstrange" on Ancestry.co.uk]. Henry died 19/Oct/1940 leaving £896. Amelia likely died 1966 aged 80 [reg. Q4 1966 Weymouth].
- Birth registered Q3 1882 Edmonton. Date of birth given on 1939 Register.
- Birth registered Q4 1864 West Ham.
- Marriage registered Q3 1906 St. Olave Southwark.
- Death of John S. Hitchcock registered Q1 1949 Wandsworth.
- Death of Sophia M. Hitchcock registered Q3 1945 Wandsworth.