Vivien Merchant (1929–1982) was a British actress.
Despite her talent and many film appearances — including Alfie (1966) and Frenzy (1972) — she is probably best remembered as the first wife of the playwright, Harold Pinter, whom she married in 1956. their son, Daniel, was born in 1958.
Merchant became deeply depressed after the end of her marriage to Pinter, and turned to drinking for relief. She died at the age of 53, from acute alcoholism.
- Frenzy (1972) — cast: Mrs. Oxford
Selection of film frames: Vivien Merchant (click image to view larger version or refresh thumbnails)...
- born Ada Thompson on 22/Jul/1929 in Manchester, England
- married 1956 to playwright Harold Pinter — divorced 1980
- died 03/Oct/1982 in London, England
Notes & References
- Death registered Q4 1982 Lambeth.