17 Mile Drive, Monterey Peninsula, California
17-Mile Drive is a scenic road through Pebble Beach and Pacific Grove on the Monterey Peninsula in California, much of which hugs the Pacific coastline and passes famous golf courses, mansions and scenic attractions, including the Lone Cypress, Bird Rock and the 5,300-acre Del Monte Forest of Monterey Cypress trees.
The rugged coastline where Scottie and Madeleine kiss in Vertigo is located in the Cypress Point area of 17-Mile Drive.
Location filming took place on the afternoon of Saturday 12th October 1957 and involved the use of an artificial Cypress tree and with a wind machine to blow Kim Novak's scarf. The tree was then used to provide continuity in the subsequent studio-based rear projection scenes. Stunt doubles were required for the shot of Scottie chasing Madeleine onto the rocky bluff.
- Point Lobos, California (5.6 miles)
- Big Sur, California (16 miles)
- Mission San Juan Bautista, California (30.3 miles)
- Scotts Valley, California (34.9 miles)
- Big Basin Redwoods State Park, California (42.9 miles)
Selection of film frames: 17 Mile Drive, Monterey Peninsula, California
Notes & References
- Vertigo: The Making of a Hitchcock Classic (1998) by Dan Auiler, page 90