Albert Kipping (b. 1864)
Fruiterer Albert Kipping married his second wife, Kate Hitchcock, in 1896. They had two known children together, along with a son from his previous marriage.
He died in 1945 aged 80.
Like the Hitchcock family, the Kippings were established greengrocers in the Stratford area.
- son of fruiterer Charles Kipping (b. ~1825) and Sarah Kipping (b. ~1826) née Mills
- by marriage, uncle of director Alfred Joseph Hitchcock (b. 1899)
- Charles Daniel Kipping (b. 1848)
- Emma Kipping (b. 1850) who married Alfred Hitchcock (b. 1860) in 1888
- Julia Kipping (b. 1852) who married Edward Henry Mickelborough (b. 1854), who took over ownership of William Hitchcock's greengrocery at 517 Leytonstone High Road after William moved his family to Salmon Lane
- Alice Kipping (b. 1855)
- Edwin Kipping (b. 1859)
- Sophia Kipping (b. 1862)
- Jessie Kipping (b. 1869)
- born 1864
Ada Elizabeth Carver (b. 1864)
- born 1864
- daughter of William Carver (b. ~1821) and Mary Ann Carver (b. ~1827)
- sister of Mary Ann Carver (b. ~1854), John Carver (b. ~1855), Charles Carver (b. ~1857), Emma Carver (b. ~1859), Florence Carver (b. ~1867) and Albert Carver (b. ~1871)
- mother of William Charles Kipping (b. 1888)
- married in 1886 to Albert Kipping
- died 1895 aged 30
- born 1872
- daughter of Joseph Hitchcock (b. ~1829) and Ann Hitchcock (b. ~1827) née Mahoney
- sister of Charles Joseph Hitchcock (b. 1852), Mary Hitchcock (b. 1854), Joseph Hitchcock (b. 1857), Alfred Hitchcock (b. 1860), William Hitchcock (b. 1862), John Sylvester Hitchcock (b. 1864), Ellen Hitchcock (b. 1866) and Emma Mary Hitchcock (b. 1869)
- married in 1896 to Albert Kipping
- died 1909 aged 37
Daisy Blanche Jubliee Mann (b. 1887)
Children born to Albert Kipping and his first wife, Ada Elizabeth:
- born 1888
- son of Ada Elizabeth Kipping (b. 1864) née Carver, Albert's first wife who died in 1895
- married in 1925 to Daisy Hillman
- died 1939 aged 50
Children born to Albert Kipping and his second wife, Kate:
- born 1897
- married in 1928 to Bertram Perkins
- died 22/Nov/1946 at the Essex Country Hospital
- probate granted 11/Jun/1947 to husband Bertram Perkins (retired civil servant) and James George Gowan (clerk of works), effects worth £3,833 16s. 6d.
- died 27/Feb/1945 aged 80
- probated granted 31/Oct/1945 to Daisy Blanche Jubilee Kipping and Bertram Perkins, the husband of his daughter Lilly Katherine, estate worth £1,350 3s. 4d.
- address: 1 Broadway, Stratford
- Charles Kipping (aged 46) — head, occupation: fruiterer
- Sarah Kipping (aged 45) — wife
- Charles Kipping (aged 23) — son, occupation: assistant fruiterer
- Emma Kipping (aged 21) — daughter
- Julia Kipping (aged 18) — daughter
- Alice Kipping (aged 16) — daughter
- Sophia Kipping (aged 8) — daughter
- Albert Kipping (aged 6) — son
- Jessie Kipping (aged 2) — daughter
- Rosa Jewell (aged 19) — servant
- Henry Shephard (aged 18) — occupation: shop ...?
- address: Forest Gate, Stratford
- Charles Kipping (aged 56) — head, occupation: retired fruiterer
- Sarah Kipping (aged 55) — wife
- Sophy Kipping (aged 19) — daughter
- Albert Kipping (aged 16) — son
- Jessie Kipping (aged 12) — daughter
Albert is now married to his first wife, Ada.
- address: 4 Romford Road, Broadway
- Albert Kipping (aged 27) — head, occupation: greengrocer
- Ada Kipping (aged 26) — wife
- William Kipping (aged 2) — son
- Helen Ilvelt (aged 19) — servant (general)
- Frank Banham (aged 15) — servant, occupation: greengrocer boy
- George Baker (aged 15) — servant, occupation: greengrocer boy
Albert is now married to his second wife, Kate.
- address: 709 Romford Road
- Albert Kipping (aged 38) — head, occupation: fruiterer
- Kate Kipping (aged 28) — wife
- Lillian Kipping (aged 4) — daughter
- May Kipping (aged 0) — daughter
- William Kipping (aged 12) — son
- Elizabeth Stacey (aged 26) — servant (domestic)
- Frank Banham (aged 25) — servant, worker at fruit stall
- Annie Swanborough (aged 17) — occupation: nurse maid
Kate had died and Albert is living as a widower.
- address: 39 Chancellor Road, Southend on Sea
- Albert Kipping (aged 46) — head, widower, occupation: none
- Hetty Gollop (aged 36) — niece (single)
- William C. Kipping (aged 22) — son, occupation: fruiterer
- Lilly Katherine Kipping (aged 14) — daughter
- May Kipping (aged 10) — daughter
24 Ilfracombe Avenue, Southend-on-Sea, Essex
- Albert Kipping (born 17 September 1864) — retired fruiterer
- Daisy B.J. Kipping (born 14 February 1887) — Albert's 3rd wife
- In December 1892, Albert appeared as a witness at the inquest into the suicide of ironmonger Hugh Priddy (aged 29), who had hung himself in the cellar of his house. Upon finding his body, his wife Clara ran to the house of Albert and Ada Kipping, telling them that "My Hugh has hung himself in the cellar." Albert told the inquest, "I hadn't the nerve [to go into the cellar]. The house was empty and it was a dark cellar." The coroner admonished Albert, telling him that he might have been able to save Hugh if he was still alive. Albert instead fetched a policeman, P.C. Charles Clark, who cut the body down and unsuccessfully attempted artificial respiration. The jury returned a verdict of "temporary insanity" and commended P.C. Clark for his actions. For details, see Chelmsford Chronicle (16/Dec/1892) and Essex Newsman (17/Dec/1892).
Notes & References
- Born in Tring, Hertfordshire.
- Born in Bethnal Green, London. Died 1884 in West Ham, Essex.
- Married to Henrietta (née ?). Worked as a greengrocer. Father of at least 9 children. Died 1910 [reg. Brighton, Sussex].
- Birth of Albert Kipping registered Q4 1864 West Ham.
- Birth of Ada Elizabeth Carver registered Q4 1864 West Ham.
- Marriage registered Q1 1886 West Ham.
- Death of Ada Elizabeth Kipping registered Q1 1895 West Ham.
- Birth of Kate Hitchcock registered Q1 1872 West Ham.
- Marriage registered Q1 1896 West Ham.
- Death of Katherine Kipping registered Q2 1909 West Ham.
- Marriage registered Q1 1912 West Ham.
- Death of Daisy Kipping registered Q3 1980 Southend on Sea.
- Birth of William Charles Kipping registered Q4 1888 West Ham.
- Marriage registered Q4 1925 Rochford.
- Possibly born 11/Mar/1897, as the death of a Daisy Hillman with that date of birth was registered Q2 1980 Southend on Sea.
- Death of William C. Kipping registered Q2 1939 Rochford.
- Birth of Lily Kathleen Kipping registered Q1 1897 West Ham.
- Marriage registered Q4 1928 Rochford.
- Birth registered Q2 1900 West Ham.
- Marriage registered Q2 1923 Rochford.
- Death of Albert Kipping registered Q1 1945 Southend on Sea.
- This is the daughter of Emma Hitchcock (b. ~1851) née Gollop and stepdaughter of Alfred Hitchcock (b. 1860).