Buena Vista Avenue East, San Francisco, California
Saint Joseph's Hospital
After suffering his nervous breakdown in Vertigo, Scottie is admitted to a sanatorium.
The external shots were filmed at Saint Joseph's Hospital, 351-355 Buena Vista Avenue East. The building is now the Park Hill Condominiums.
The interiors of the sanatorium were filmed back at Paramount. Shooting the scene was delayed several hours when Hitchcock was unhappy with the actor cast as the doctor and Raymond Bailey was called in at short notice as a replacement.
- Mission Dolores Church and Cemetery, San Francisco, California (0.8 miles)
- Gough Street, San Francisco, California (1.3 miles)
- Sutter Street, San Francisco, California (2 miles)
- Powell Street, San Francisco, California (2.2 miles)
- California Street, San Francisco, California (2.2 miles)
Selection of film frames: Buena Vista Avenue East, San Francisco, California
Notes & References
- Vertigo: The Making of a Hitchcock Classic (1998) by Dan Auiler, pages 111-12