Ernest Lehman (1915–2005) was an American screenwriter.
He was perhaps best known for writing the screenplays for Sabrina (1954), Sweet Smell of Success (1957), North by Northwest (1959) and The Sound of Music (1965).
Lehman died in 2005, aged 89, after a prolonged illness.
He has appeared in the following Hitchcockian documentaries...
- Reputations: Alfred Hitchcock (BBC, 1999)
- Destination Hitchcock - The Making of North by Northwest (2000)
- North by Northwest (1999) by Ernest Lehman
- American Film (1976) - Dialogue on Film: Ernest Lehman
- American Film (1979) - Lehman at Large: On the Importance of Relative Importances
- American Film (1980) - Lehman at Large: Hitch
Awards and Nominations
- 1960 Academy Awards - Oscars:
- nominated for Best Writing, Story and Screenplay - Written Directly for the Screen (North by Northwest)
- 1960 Writers Guild of America - WGA Award:
- nominated for Best Written American Drama (North by Northwest)
- 1977 Writers Guild of America - WGA Award:
- nominated for Best Comedy Adapted from Another Medium (Family Plot)