Lilian Hitchcock (b. 1877) née Farmer
According to the 1939 Register, Lilian was born on 23 July 1877.
Lilian Farmer worked as a cashier in at least two fishmongeries on North End Road, Fulham, before meeting her future husband, William John Hitchcock whilst working for William's uncle John Sylvester Hitchcock. She married William in married in 1911.
Biographer Patrick McGilligan states that Alfred Hitchcock helped support Lilian financially after her husband died in January 1943.
When her husband's cousin, Alfred Charles Hitchcock, died in 1944, he left her the freehold of a fishmongery an 79 Tower Bridge Road in his will. It is uncertain what Lilian did with the property as no-one is listed residing at the address on the Electoral Register between 1945 and 1947.
She likely died in 1957, aged 80.
- daughter of commercial traveller Charles Walter Farmer (b. ~1857) and Mary Ann Farmer (b. ~1855) née Tilbrook, who married on 07/Aug/1876 at St. Saviour, Southwark
- sister-in-law of director Alfred Joseph Hitchcock (b. 1899)
- born sometime around 1878
- very likely the Lilian Farmer whose birth was registered Q3 1877 in St. Saviour, Southwark
- likely baptised on 04/Jul/1883 at St John the Divine, Kennington, Southwark
- born 1888
- son of William Hitchcock (b. 1862) and Emma Jane Hitchcock (b. 1864) née Whelan
- brother of Ellen Kathleen Hitchcock (b. 1892) and Alfred Joseph Hitchcock (b. 1899)
- Lilian worked as a cashier in John Sylvester Hitchcock's shop at 395 North End Road, Fulham, at the same time William was working there
- married 20/Sep/1911 to Lilian Farmer in a Roman Catholic ceremony at the St Thomas of Canterbury, Fulham, by priest Father John Crowley (b. ~1858)
- marriage witnessed by N. Hitchcock and A. Hitchcock
- died 04/Jan/1943 of a suspected accidental overdose
- it is believed the couple had none
- probably died 1957 aged 80
address: 220 Great Dover Street, Newington
- Charles Farmer (aged 24) — head, occupation: haberdasher (wholesale)
- Mary A. Farmer (aged 26) — wife
- Lilian Farmer (aged 3) — daughter
- Maud Farmer (aged 2) — daughter
- Charles Farmer (aged 0) — son
- Jenny Glewnings (aged 16) — servant
- Jane Irving (aged 13) — servant
Charles appears to have remarried to Jane (also known as Jenny).
- address: 45 Panlet Road, Camberwell
- Chs W. Farmer (aged 34) — head, occupation: commercial traveller
- Jane Farmer (aged 32) — wife
- Lilian Farmer (aged 12) — daughter
- Maude Farmer (aged 11) — daughter
- Gertrude Farmer (aged 7) — daughter
Lilian is working for her sister Maude's husband.
- address: 243 North End Road, Fulham
- Samuel Gluning (aged 25) — head, occupation: fishmonger
- Maude Gluning (aged 22) — wife (Lilian's sister, Maude Farmer)
- Leslie Gluning (aged 2) — son
- Samuel Gluning (aged 1) — son
- Lilian Farmer (aged 23) — sister-in-law, occupation: cashier at fishmongers
- Daisy Cooper (aged 19) — servant (domestic nurse)
- Cissie Danks (aged 18) — occupation: fishmonger's assistant
- Florence Mattams (aged 18) — servant (domestic cook)
Lilian is working at the same shop as William.
- address: 395 North End Road, Fulham
- John Silvester Hitchcock (aged 46) — head, occupation: fishmonger and poulterer
- Sophia Magdalen Hitchcock (aged 28) — wife, occupation: assisting in business
- William Hitchcock (aged 22) — nephew, occupation: assisting in business (unmarried)
- Lilian Farmer (aged 31) — occupation: cashier in business
- Mary O'Hagan (aged 30) — occupation: assisting in business
- Erma Ledwell (aged 35) — servant (general domestic)
79 Tower Bridge Road
- William J. Hitchcock (male born 18 August 1888) — fish merchant at own account
- Lilian Hitchcock (female born 23 July 1877) — assistant in shop
1926-1928 — Hammersmith and Fulham, Fulham East and West
1930-1939 — Southwark, Bermondsey
- specifically 1930, 1931, 1933, 1934, 1936 and 1939
- According to McGilligan, "when his brother William's widow entered a sanatorium in England fifteen years after her husband's death, Hitchcock quietly instructed his accountant to pay her bills and provide a weekly allowance." If she died in 1957, then she died shortly after entering the sanatorium.
- There are some inconsistencies with Lilian's age in the census returns and with her place of birth.
- The Lily Hitchcock of 9 Marks Gardens, Braintree, who died in 07/Oct/1961 was a different person.
- Lilian's father, Charles Walter Farmer (b. ~1857), married twice. His second wife, Jenny Gluning (b. ~1864), was likely the sister of fishmonger Samuel Gluning who married Lilian's sister Maude and who Lilian was working for in 1901.
Notes & References
- For the years 1940 to 1944, no Electoral Register was taken due the war, so it is uncertain if the shop was empty during that period.
- Born in Peckham, Surrey (according to Census returns). Likely baptised in Camberwell, London [reg. Q2 1857 Camberwell]. Seemingly remarried in 1898 to Jenny Gluning (b. ~1861) [reg. Q4 1898 St. Saviour Southwark].
- Also known as Marianne. Likely died 1893 aged 39 [reg. Q3 1893 Camberwell].
- Charles' occupation is given as draper and he is the son of draper William Farmer. Mary Ann is the daughter of William Henry Tilbrook.
- Birthplace given as Brixton, Surrey (1901 Census) and Great Dover Street, London (1911 Census).
- The parents address is given as 48 Treherne Road, Brixton, which was close to the church.
- Birth registered Q1 1879, St. Saviour, Southwark. Married in 1897 to Samuel Gluning [reg. Q2 1897 St. Saviour Southwark]. Died 1960 aged 81 [reg. Q3 1960 Weymouth].
- Birth registered Q4 1880, St. Saviour, Southwark. Died 01/Mar/1959. Probate granted to Lilian Emily Farmer (widow), effects worth £3090 11s. 3d.
- Likely the Gertrude Farmer who was working as a servant for Joseph D. & Mary A. Wilkinson at 145 St. James School House, Spa Road, Bermondsey, in the 1901 Census.
- Birth of William John Hitchcock registered Q4 1888 West Ham.
- Marriage registered Q3 1911 Fulham.
- There are no known immediate relatives to William John that have a first name beginning with "N" other than his sister Ellen Kathleen, known as "Nellie". If she was a witness, was the 12-year-old Alfred Joseph Hitchcock the second witness?
- Death registered Q1 1943 Surrey South Western.
- Death of Lilian Hitchcock registered Q3 1957 Bridport, Dorset [6A/406/1957/BRIDPORT].
- Jane was born in Blackfriars, Surrey.
- Death of Lily Hitchcock registered Q4 1961 Braintree, Essex.