The Art of Gothic: Britain's Midnight Hour (BBC, 2014)
A 3-part television series broadcast as part of the BBC4 Gothic season.
The third episode ("Blood for Sale: Gothic Goes Global") included a short segment about The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog (1927).
Blood for Sale: Gothic Goes Global
Gothic fantasy horror would be outstripped by real horror as the truth of mechanised warfare dawned on an innocent world in 1914. The language of Gothic would increasingly come to encapsulate the horrors of the 20th century - from Marx's analysis of 'vampiric' capitalism to Conrad's dark vision of imperialism and TS Eliot's image of The Wasteland, a Gothic narrative seemed to make more sense of the modern world more than any other.
- this documentary has not been released on DVD
- BBC4 - programme description
Cast and Crew
- Andrew Graham-Dixon — presenter and narrator
- Paul Tickell
- Dan Goldschmied — Assistant Producer
- Basil Comely — Executive Producer
- Silvia Sacco — Series Producer
- Grace Brassington — Production Coordinator
Episode 3: Blood for Sale: Gothic Goes Global