The following is a transcription of the Last Will and Testament of spinster Teresa Mary Hitchcock (b. 1889), who died 3 November 1973. The will was written on 4 July 1972.
She was the daughter of Charles Joseph Hitchcock and his wife Catherine, and cousin of director Alfred Hitchcock.
The executrix of the will was her cousin Ellen Albert.
The will was proven on 30/Jan/1974 and the follow valuations recorded:
- gross value of estate — £14,278 47p
- net value of personal estate — £13,583 35p
- The will has been reformatted to improve readability
- Ellen Albert was born Ellen Fitzpatrick and was raised and supported by the extended Hitchcock family following the death of her mother whilst Ellen was just an infant. John Gerard Albert and Christopher Ronald Albert were here sons from her marriage to Gerhard Nicholaus Quirin Albert.
Last Will and Testament
THIS is the LAST WILL and TESTAMENT of me TERESA MARY HITCHCOCK of 54 Beaufort Mansions, Beaufort Street, London S.W.3., Spinster.
1. I HEREBY REVOKE all former Wills, Codicils and testamentary dispositions heretofore made by me and declare this to be my last and only Will.
2. I APPOINT David Eldridge of 11 South Square, Gray's Inn, London WC1R 5EX, Solicitor, and Mrs. Ellen Albert of 24 Milton Road, East Sheen, London S.W.14 (hereinafter called "my Trustees") to be the EXECUTORS and TRUSTEES of this my Will
3. I BEQUEATH the following legacies free of duty :-
- To my godson Christopher Ronald Albert the sum of £1,000
- To John Gerard Albert the sum of £500
- To Julia O'Brien of 36 Beechwood Court, West Street Lane, Carshalton, Surrey, in gratitude of her many kindnesses to me the sum of £300 but I declare that, in the event of Mrs. Ellen Albert predeceasing me, the legacy of £300 to Julia O'Brien shall be increased to £500
- To The Converts Aid Society of 20 Holmes Road, Twickenham, Middlesex, the sum of £50
- To the St. John and St. Elizabeth Hospital of Grove End Road, St. John's Wood, London N.W.8., the sum of £50
- To The Catholic Enquiry Centre, 120 West Heath Road, Hampstead, London, N.W.3., the sum of £50
- To Help the Aged, 139 Oxford Street, London W.1., the sum of £50
AND I HEREBY DECLARE that the receipt of the Treasurer or other proper Officer for the time being of the aforementioned Charities and Hospital shall be a complete discharge to my Trustees.
4. I GIVE DEVISE AND BEQUEATH all my Estate both real and personal whatsoever and wheresoever over which I have any power of testamentary disposition and not otherwise disposed of by any Codicil hereto to my Trustees Upon Trust to sell, call in and convert the same to money with power to postpone the sale calling in and conversion thereof so long as my Trustees shall in my Trustees absolute discretion think fit without being liable for loss and to hold the net proceeds of the said sale conversion and my ready money Upon Trust to pay any debts and funeral and testamentary expenses and any pecuniary legacies which may be given by this my Will or any Codicil hereto and to stand possessed of the residue thereof for the said Ellen Albert absolutely or if she shall predecease me in equal shares for such of her children as are alive at the date of my death and the issue who attain 18 or marry under that age of any child who has predeceased me such issue to take equally between them the share which their parent would have taken if she had survived me.
5. ANY Executor or Trustee of my Will being a Solicitor Accountant or Stockbroker or other person engaged in any profession or business shall be entitled to charge and be paid all usual professional or other charges for business transacted time expended and acts done by him or his firm in connection with the administration of my estate and the trusts of this my Will including acts which an Executor or Trustee not being in any profession or business could have done personally.
IN WITNESS whereof I have hereunto set my hand this fourth day of July, 1972.
SIGNED by the Testatrix TERESA MARY HITCHCOCK as her last Will in the presence of us present at the same time who at her request in her presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names at wintesses :-
[ signatures ]
Notes & References