Variety (1938) - Pictures: B.O. Pix Help Overcome London War Jitters; 'Alex' Big $20,000, 2d Wk., 'Lady Vanishes,' $25,000
- magazine article: Pictures: B.O. Pix Help Overcome London War Jitters; 'Alex' Big $20,000, 2d Wk., 'Lady Vanishes,' $25,000
- journal: Variety (26/Oct/1938)
- issue: volume 132, issue 7, page 9
- journal ISSN: 0042-2738
- publisher: Penske Business Media
- keywords: Alfred Hitchcock, Gainsborough Pictures, The Lady Vanishes (1938)
Empire—'Lady Vanishes' (Gainsborough-Metro). First of the three made under new combination. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock, who has definite following. Started out mildly, but spurted after first three days, with intake just below $25,000 mark. Could hold, but Metro behind schedule, with product piling up. 'Vanishes' reappears at Ritz, Metro's small house adjoining, and good for two weeks, while Empire's replacer is 'Too Hot to Handle,' easily good for three weeks.