Variety (1940) - Inside Stuff--Pictures (Jan)
- magazine article: Inside Stuff--Pictures (Jan)
- journal: Variety (17/Jan/1940)
- issue: volume 137, issue 6, page 24
- journal ISSN: 0042-2738
- publisher: Penske Business Media
- keywords: Alfred Hitchcock, Charles Bennett, Foreign Correspondent (1940), James Hilton, Joan Harrison, Robert Benchley, Walter Wanger'
Scripting costs on Walter Wanger's 'Personal History' are reported to have passed $200,000, due to upheavals in Europe. Originally written as a biography by Vincent Sheean, the story dealt chiefly with the Spanish civil war, which lost its timeliness when the Nazis marched into Czechoslovakia. Then came the big war and more changes in the script. Among the writers who have worked on the screenplay are John Howard Lawson, John Meehan, James Hilton, Charles Bennett, Joan Harrison and Alfred Hitchcock, who will direct. Latest addition is Robert Benchley, called in to lighten up the treatment.