Elstree Calling (1930)
|André Charlot, Jack Hulbert, Paul Murray & Alfred Hitchcock|
|Adrian Brunel, Walter C. Mycroft & Val Valentine|
|Emile de Ruelle & A.C. Hammond|
|86 minutes (7,767 feet)|
|black & white/Pathécolor|
|British International Pictures|
|Wardour Films Ltd (UK)|
A series of musical and comedy vaudeville and music hall sketches presented in the form of a live broadcast hosted by Tommy Handley.
According to contemporary newspaper reports, British International Pictures planned to release alternative versions of Elstree Calling in nine foreign languages. Each version would replace the linking footage of compere Tommy Handley with a famous actor from that country and some of the segments would be replaced with local acts and performers.
Cast and Crew
- Teddy Brown
- Helen Burnell
- Donald Calthrop
- Bobbie Comber
- Cicely Courtneidge
- Will Fyffe
- Tommy Handley
- Gordon Harker
- Jack Hulbert
- Hannah Jones
- John Longden
- Ivor McLaren
- Lily Morris
- Nathan Shacknovsky
- John Stuart
- Jameson Thomas
- The Three Eddies
- Anna May Wong
- Reg Casson - song "Step Along"
- Vivian Ellis - song "The Thought Never Entered My Head"
- Chic Endor - song unidentified
- Idris Lewis - organ music (uncredited)
- Lawrence Wright - song "Doin' the Old Low Down" (uncredited)
- Ethelbert Nevin - musical number "Narcissus" (uncredited)
Notes & References
- See, for example, "Elstree Calling in Nine Languages" in Gloucester Journal (13/Sep/1930).