Stephen Fitzpatrick (b. ~1869)
According to biographer Patrick McGilligan, "Ellen [Hitchcock] married a man from Cork and died giving birth to their third child. Her husband became legendary in the family as the first relation to emigrate to America, while the daughter who survived Ellen's death, also named Ellen, briefly moved in with the Leytonstone branch when the future director was a young boy."
Stephen Fitzpatrick, who worked as an engineer and gas fitter, married Ellen "Nellie" Hitchcock in October 1892 and it seems that their first three daughters died within a year of their births. It also seem likely that Ellen herself did not die in childbirth but about a year after the birth of her daughter Ellen.
- Son of Irish farmer Daniel Fitzgerald (b. ?)
- by marriage, uncle of director Alfred Joseph Hitchcock (b. 1899)
- not known
- born around 1869 in Ireland
- born 1866
- daughter of Joseph Hitchcock (b. ~1829) and Ann Hitchcock (b. ~1827) née Mahoney
- sister of Charles Joseph Hitchcock (b. 1852), Mary Hitchcock (b. 1854), Joseph Hitchcock (b. 1857), Alfred Hitchcock (b. 1860), William Hitchcock (b. 1862), John Sylvester Hitchcock (b. 1864), Emma Mary Hitchcock (b. 1869) and Kate Hitchcock (b. 1872)
- married 02/Oct/1892 to Stephen Fitzpatrick in a Roman Catholic ceremony at the Church of St Francis of Assisi, Stratford — the ceremony was performed by Father Cuthbert Wood and the witness were Katie Hitchcock (sister), H. Mineham and Maurice McCarthy
- possibly died 1899 aged 31
Three children, according to McGilligan, hover four likely births were found during research
- birth registered Q1 1893 West Ham
- death registered Q3 1893 West Ham
- birth registered Q3 1895 West Ham
- death registered Q4 1895 West Ham
- birth registered Q2 1896 West Ham
- death registered Q2 1897 West Ham
Also known as "Nellie". This would be the Ellen mentioned by Patrick McGilligan, however her birth in February 1898 doesn't tally with the most likely death registration for her mother which was recorded over a year later.
- born 06/Feb/1898
- in 1911 was a boarder (aged 13) at St. Mary's Convent, Battersea Park Road
- married in 1925 to Gerhard Nicholaus Quirin Albert (b. 1895), who served in the Merchant Navy and later died at sea aboard the tanker ship Circe Shell in 1936
- likely mother of John Gerard Albert (b. 1926) and Christopher Ronald Albert (b. 1935)
- named as a beneficiary in the wills of her uncle John Silvester Hitchcock (died 1949) and her cousin Theresa Mary Hitchcock (died 1973)
- died 1983
- There is a 1869 birth registry entry for Stephen Fitzpatrick in Clonakilty, Cork, Ireland, which fits McGilligan's statement Ellen's husband was born in Cork. In the 1901 Census, there is a Stephen Fitzpatrick listed as a widower living in West Ham, with a son Daniel (b. ~1894) who was born in London — this is most likely a different person.
- There are plenty of possible passenger list entries for a Stephen Fitzpatrick travelling to America, but none which jumped as as definitely being Ellen's husband. There are also probable US Census entries although again difficult to be certain which could be for this particular Stephen Fitzpatrick.
Notes & References
- Hannah Mineham, who witnessed Stephen's wedding to Ellen Hitchcock, married a Thomas Fitzpatrick the following year who could have been his brother and could possibly have been the best man at Stephen's wedding.
- Birth of Ellen Hitchcock registered Q4 1866 West Ham.
- Born around 1833 in Hyde, Manchester. By 1911, he had retired to The Friary Chilworth, Surrey.
- This was likely Hannah Mineham who worked as a corset maker and married Thomas Fitzpatrick in 1893. She was born around 1855 to Irish-born labourer John and Mary Mineham who lived in Poplar, London.
- Likely the Maurice McCarthy who was born around 1869 in Ireland and was working as a gas stoker in West Ham (1901 Census).
- Death of Ellen Fitzpatrick aged 31 registered Q3 1899 West Ham.
- Birth registered Q1 1898 West Ham. Date of birth given on death registry entry.
- This appears to now be Our Lady of Mount Carmel & St. Joseph Catholic Church.
- Born 27/Dec/1926. Birth register Q1 1927 Richmond Upon Surrey. Possibly married 1955 to Gwyneth M. Ellis in Cardiganshire, Wales.
- Date of birth given as 21/Oct/1935 on death registry entry. Died 03/Apr/2008 in London.
- Death registered Q2 1983 Richmond Upon Thames.