John Russell Taylor
John Russell Taylor is an English critic and author.
He is the author of critical studies of British theatre; of critical biographies of such important figures in Anglo-American film as Alfred Hitchcock, Alec Guinness, Orson Welles, Vivien Leigh, and Ingrid Bergman; of Strangers in Paradise: The Hollywood Emigres 1933-1950; and several books on art.
He is the author of the following Hitchcock books:
- Hitch: The Life and Times of Alfred Hitchcock (1978) by John Russell Taylor
- The Times (02/Nov/1968) - Hail Hitchcock!
- The Times (23/May/1972) - Frenzy: Hitchcock magic is intact
- Sight and Sound (1975) - Hitchcock's 53rd
- The Times (19/Jul/1975) - Hitchcock's fifty years in films
- Sight and Sound (1977) - Surviving: Hitchcock
- American Film (1978) - Before Semiology
- The Times (12/Aug/1978) - Saturday Review: Life with Alfred Hitchcock
- The Times (19/May/1983) - Hitch hatchet job
- The Times (12/Sep/1994) - American theatre loses grand old lady: Jessica Tandy
- The Times (27/Dec/1994) - The man who knew too much
- The Times (13/Jun/2001) - Alors, messieurs, what's the Hitch?
- The Times (06/May/2004) - How Hitch recruited his secret agents
- The Times (06/May/2004) - Hitchcock history
- The Times (09/Sep/2004) - They've been framed
- The Times (14/Dec/2004) - A Hitch in the works
- The Times (05/Apr/2005) - The truth about Hitchcock and those cool blondes
- The Times (07/Jul/2005) - Bound by the spell of Hitch
- The Times (29/Jun/2006) - Hitch shoots, Herrmann scores
- The Times (16/Feb/2008) - 'A loveable monster'
- The Times (06/Sep/2008) - The lady appears
He has appeared in the following Hitchcockian documentaries...
- Hitchcock (BBC, 1982)
- Reputations: Alfred Hitchcock (BBC, 1999)
- E! True Hollywood Story: Alfred Hitchcock (1999)
- Paul Merton Looks at Alfred Hitchcock (BBC, 2008)
- A Very British Murder with Lucy Worsley (BBC, 2013)