The following is a transcription of the Last Will and Testament of Alfred Charles Hitchcock (b. 1889), who died 06/Dec/1944, aged 57. He was the cousin of director Alfred Hitchcock and son of Alfred Hitchcock (b. 1860).
The executors named in the will were:
- Gordon David Brewster and George William Britton Kimber
- John Francis Hitchcock (b. 1884)
His cousin, who had become a Catholic Priest. John Francis died in January 1944, so predeceased Alfred Charles Hitchcock.
The will was proven on 19/Apr/1945 and the follow valuations recorded:
- gross value of estate — £26,629 11s. 7d.
- net value of personal estate — £18,697 19s. 3d.
The total of the legacies was £1,050.
- He bequeathed the freehold on his London fishermongery to Lilian Hitchcock, the wife of his cousin, William John Hitchcock (b. 1888). It is uncertain why the freehold was not left to William John, who was alive at the time the will was written.
- Both the Reverend Arthur P. Flanagan and Amelia Stiles are also mentioned in the will of John Silvester Hitchcock (b. 1864).
- The will has been reformatted to improve readability and any doubtful words are appended with (?).
Last Will and Testament
I, Alfred Charles Hitchcock of 149 Jerningham Road, New Cross, in the City of London, Fish Salesman, declare this to be my last Will and Testament and I hereby revoke all former Wills made by me.
I appoint Gordon David Brewster and George William Britton Kimber of 1 Dr. Johnsons Buildings, Temple, in the City of London and Father John Hitchcock of Harrow to be Executors and Trustees hereof.
I give the following pecuniary bequests all free of duty namely:
- to the Reverend Arthur P. Flanagan at present at the Church of Our Lady, Melior Street, £100
- to the Priest in charge of the Roman Catholic Church at Deptford for Masses for the repose of my soul £50
- to the Priest in charge of the Roman Catholic Church at Nunhead for Masses for the repose of my soul £50
- to my step sister Hetty Buckley (nee Gollop) £500
- to Mr Earney(?) £100
- to the Little Sisters of the Poor of Meadow Road, Lambeth, £100
- to the Prisoners (Catholic) Aid Society £50
- to the Catholic Truth Society £50
- to the Society of St. Vincent de Paul (Superior Council) £50
I devise my freehold shop and premises No. 79 Tower Bridge Road to Lilian Hitchcock (nee Farmer) wife of my cousin William Hitchcock.
All the residue of my estate real and personal I Give, Devise, Bequeath and Appoint to my Trustees Upon Trust to sell and convert the same into money and, after paying off my just debts and funeral and testamentary expenses, to divide the residue into such a number of equal parts that such of the following persons as shall be living at the time of my death my share as hereinafter set out:
- to each of the children of my father's brother, the late Charles Hitchcock, two parts
- to each of the children of my father's brother, the late William Hitchcock, two parts
- to my father's sister, Emma Rhodes of Durban, S. Africa, eight parts
- to each of the children of my father's sister, the late Ellen Fitzpatrick, two parts
- to William Howe, son of my father's sister, the late Mary Howe, four parts
- to Martin Valentine Scholles, brother of my Aunt Sophia Hitchcock, one part
- to Amelia Stiles, sister of the said Sophia Hitchcock, one part
- and to Mrs Lawrence of 129 Grove Green Road, Leyton, one part
Provided always that if any of the aforementioned persons shall predecease me having issue then such issue shall take the share such person would have taken had he or she survived me in equal shares of more than one.
I declare that any trustee being a solicitor or other person engaged in such profession or business may be so employed to act and shall be entitled to charge and be paid all professional or other charges for any business or act done by him or his firm in connection with the trusts hereof including acts which a Trustee could have done personally.
In witness thereof, the said Alfred Charles Hitchcock, have hereunto set my hand this 29th day of October, 1936.
Signed and declared by the above named Alfred Charles Hitchcock, the testator as and for his last Will in the presence of us both being present at the same time who in his presence at his request and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses
[ signatures of Alfred Charles Hitchcock and witnesses ]
- ↑ Born 1877. Married twice. Died 1954 aged 74.