Catherine Hitchcock (b. ~1844) née Cunningham
Catherine Cunningham married local greengrocer Enoch Hitchcock in 1862. They had 6 known children but Enoch appears to have left her in 1874, shortly after the birth of their last child, Joseph, in order to immigrate to Australia.
The Chelmsford Chronicle (12/May/1871) reported that Enoch had been charged with "being drunk and disorderly" and with assaulting a police constable. In court, it was "urged that domestic matters had caused the prisoner to get too much drink". As Catherine may have been pregnant with Joseph at the time of the assault, it is possible that she left her husband.
She likely died in 1890 aged only 46.
- daughter of ?
- by marriage, great aunt to director Alfred Joseph Hitchcock (b. 1899)
- born around 1844
- birthplace given as Stratford (1871 & 1881 Census)
- also known as Kate
- born 1844 in the West Ham district
- son of Charles Hitchcock (b. ~1791) and his wife Sarah Hitchcock (b. ~1810) née Pike
- brother of Susannah Hitchcock (b. ~1823), Sarah Hitchcock (b. ~1824), Joseph Hitchcock (b. ~1829), Charles William Hitchcock (b. 1838) and Mary Emily Hitchcock (b. 1840)
- married in 1862 to Catherine Cunningham
- date of death unknown
- born around 1866
- married in 1894 to Charles William Rees (b. 1866)
- mother to Charles Robert Rees (b. 1895)
- born 1867
- birthplace given as Essex (1871 Census) and Stratford (1881 Census)
- no definite entries after 1881 Census and no obvious death or marriage entries
- born 1872
- worked as a boiler maker and engineer
- married Ada Florence Cottis (b. 1885) née Hutley in 1914 and then travelled to New Zealand (aged 51) aboard the Rotorua, which departed Southampton on 06/Dec/1923, with children Ada Hitchcock (b. 1922), Joseph Hitchcock (b. 1919) and Kathleen Hitchcock (b. 1914)
- likely died 1890 aged 46
Enoch is now a greengrocer living with his wife and 5 children. This is the last census return which lists Enoch.
- address: 50 Forest Street, Stratford, West Ham
- Enoch Hitchcock (26), occupation: greengrocer
- Kate Hitchcock (27), wife
- Sarah Hitchcock (8), daughter, occupation: scholar
- Susan Hitchcock (5), daughter, occupation: scholar
- Kate Hitchcock (4), daughter, occupation: scholar
- Enoch Hitchcock (3), son, occupation: scholar
- Henry Hitchcock (2), son
- Mary Cunningham (19), occupation: domestic servant, born Stratford
Catherine is now living with her uncle Michael Cunningham in Stratford and her husband Enoch is not listed. Her teenage daughters are also not listed. She is listed as married rather than widowed.
- address: 8 Elizabeth Gardens(?), Stratford, West Ham
- Michael Cunningham (70), occupation: general labourer, born: West Ham, Essex
- Margaret Cunningham (60), wife, born: Stratford
- Catherine Hitchcock (40), niece, occupation: labourwoman
- Enoch Hitchcock (13), grandnephew, occupation: scholar
- Joseph Hitchcock (9), grandnephew, occupation: scholar
- Her uncle and aunt are given as Michael Cunningham (b. ~1811) and Margaret Cunningham (b. ~1821) of Stratford.
- An Enoch Hitchcock aged 32 set sail to Victoria, Australia, aboard the Somersetshire in 1874
- The Essex Standard (30/May/1856) reported that a Catherine Cunningham (of West Ham) had been convicted of assault and was imprisoned for 2 months hard labour.
Notes & References
- No birth registry found, nor any entries in the 1841 or 1851 Census.
- Birth registered as Enoch (or possibly Enock) Hitchcock Q2 1844 West Ham]. See: England & Wales births 1837-2006 > volume 12 > page 294 > line 33
- Marriage registered Q2 1862 Shoreditch. See: England & Wales marriages 1837-2008 > Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records > volume 1C > page 475 > line 7
- Birth registered Q2 1863 West Ham. See: England & Wales births 1837-2006 > volume 4A > page 5 > line 91
- Death registered Q2 1912 West Ham. See: Sarah Hitchcock died aged 50.
- Birth registered at Kate Hitchcock Q2 1866 West Ham. See: England & Wales births 1837-2006 > volume 4A > page 52 > line 327
- Marriage registered Q4 1892 West Ham.
- Birth registered as Enoch Hitchcock Q4 1867 West Ham. See: England & Wales births 1837-2006 > volume 4A > page 44 > line 245
- Several possibly birth registrations, which the most likely being that of Harry Hitchcock registered Q1 1869 West Ham. Not to be confused with Harry John Hitchcock born in Hamstead, London, in 1868 who moved to the West Ham district.
- Death of Henry Hitchcock registered Q2 1876 West Ham.
- Birth registered Q1 1872 West Ham.
- Marriage registered Q1 1914 West Ham
- Death of Catherine Hitchcock registered Q3 West Ham.
- Very likely a relative on Kate's side of the family.
- Previously worked as a dock labourer (1851 Census) and labourer (1871 Census). Seems to have lived in West Ham throughout lifetime.
- passenger list