Susan Rees (b. ~1866) née Hitchcock
Susan Hitchcock worked as a barmaid in the West Ham area and then married railway boiler maker Charles William Rees in 1894. They had one known child.
- daughter of Enoch Hitchcock (b. 1844) and his wife Catherine Hitchcock (b. ~1844) née Cunningham
- first cousin (once removed⇧) of director Alfred Joseph Hitchcock (b. 1899)
- born around 1866
- also known as Susanna and Susannah
- Sarah Elizabeth Hitchcock (b. 1863)
- Kate Hitchcock (b. 1866)
- Enoch Hitchcock (b. 1867)
- Henry Hitchcock (b. 1869)
- Joseph Hitchcock (b. 1872)
Charles William Rees (b. 1866)
- born 1866 in Gloucestershire
- occupation: railway boiler maker for the Great Eastern Railway
- married in 1894 to Susan Hitchcock
- possibly died 1943
- possibly died 1950 aged 84
Enoch is a greengrocer living with his wife and 5 children.
- address: 50 Forest Street, Stratford, West Ham
- Enoch Hitchcock (26), occupation: greengrocer
- Kate Hitchcock (27), wife
- Sarah Hitchcock (8), daughter, occupation: scholar
- Susan Hitchcock (5), daughter, occupation: scholar
- Kate Hitchcock (4), daughter, occupation: scholar
- Enoch Hitchcock (3), son, occupation: scholar
- Henry Hitchcock (2), son
- Mary Cunningham (19), occupation: domestic servant, born Stratford
Likely entry for Susan, now working as a barmaid.
- address: Prospect Row, Forest Lane, Forest Gate
- William Punman (aged 39) — head, occupation: licensed victualler
- Rosina Punman (aged 41) — wife
- Maud Punman (aged 0) — daughter
- Sarah Lister (aged 26) — servant, occupation: barmaid
- Susanna Hitchcock (aged 16) — servant, occupation: barmaid
Likely entry for Susan, still working as a barmaid.
- address: Essex Arms, 82 Leytonstone Road
- Alfred H. Hawkins (aged 22) — occupation: head barman
- Susannah Hitchcock (aged 23) — servant, occupation: barmaid
- Elizabeth White (aged 21) — servant, occupation: barmaid
- Henry Fry (aged 17) — servant, occupation: barman
- Emilie Brodie (aged 24) — servant (general domestic)
- Catherine Cressell (aged 67) — relative
- address: 389 Sherrard Road, East Ham
- Charles William Rees (aged 45) — head, occupation: railway boiler maker (Great Eastern Railway)
- Susan Rees (aged 46) — wife
- Charles Robert Rees (aged 15) — son, occupation: apprentice fitter and turner (Great Eastern Railway)
- 1901 Census entry for Charles Rees (occupation boiler maker) married and living as a boarder at 106 Major Road, West Ham, but Susan isn't listed as living with him
- Entry in 1901 Census for Susannah Rees (born Forest Gate, Essex) working as a domestic servant at 86 Whyteville Road, West Ham. Oddly though, she is listed as widowed, which must be a mistake if this is really Susan Hitchcock.
Notes & References
- Birth registration not found.
- Birth registered Q1 1866 Gloucestershire.
- Marriage registered Q1 1894 in West Ham.
- Death of Charles W. Rees registered Q1 1943 Swindon.
- Birth registered Q2 1895 West Ham.
- Death of Charles William Rees born 07/May/1895 registered Q1 1978 Darlington.
- Death of Susan Rees registered Q2 1950 Islington, London.
- Very likely a relative on Kate's side of the family.