Joseph William Hitchcock (b. 1830)
Joseph Hitchcock's father Charles had established a fishmongery in Stratford and Joseph continued to run the family business, eventually expanding into greengrocery.
Joseph likely died in 1891.
- son of Charles Hitchcock (b. ~1791) and Jemima Hitchcock (b. ~1796) née Spooner
- grandfather of director Alfred Joseph Hitchcock (b. 1899)
- Charles Hitchcock (b. ~1819)
- Susannah Hitchcock (b. ~1823)
- Sarah Hitchcock (b. ~1824)
- Charles William Hitchcock (b. 1838)
- Mary Emily Hitchcock (b. 1840)
- Enoch Hitchcock (b. 1844)
- born 06/Jul/1830
- baptised 15/Aug/1830 at All Saints, West Ham
- born around 1827
- daughter of Sylvester Mahoney (b. ~1801) and Eleanor Mahoney (b. ~1801)
- sister of Catherine Mahoney (b. ~1831), Dennis Mahoney (b. ~1836) and Ellen Mahoney (b. 1841)
- married in 22/Dec/1851 to Joseph Hitchcock at Christ Church, Stratford, West Ham — this was an Anglican service according to the rites of the Church of England, the ceremony was performed by curate Edward Cridge and the witnesses were Cornelius Queenland and Michael Queenland
- died 1881 aged 54
- born 1852
- married in 1880 to Catherine Roche (b. ~1857)
- father to Mary Frances T. Hitchcock (b. 1881), Catherine Clare Hitchcock (b. 1883), Charles James Hitchcock (b. 1891), John Francis Hitchcock (b. 1884), Annie Mary Hitchcock (b. 1886) and Theresa Mary Hitchcock (b. 1889)
- likely died 1915 aged 63
- born 1854
- married in 1881 to John Howe (b. ~1857)
- mother of Annie Ellen Howe (b. 1886) and William John Howe (b. 1884)
- died 1935
- born 1857
- married in 1880 to Emma Louisa Cook (b. 1856)
- father to Harry Hitchcock (b. ~1880) and Joseph Hitchcock (b. ~1885)
- probably died 1897 aged 39
- born 1860
- married in 1888 to Emma Gollop (b. ~1851)
- father to Alfred Charles Hitchcock (b. 1889)
- stepfather of George Gallop (b. ~1874), Hetty Gallop (b. ~1878) and Thomas Gallop (b. ~1876)
- died 1926 aged 66
- father of director Alfred Hitchcock (b. 1899)
- born 1862
- married in 1887 to Emma Jane Whelan (b. 1864)
- father to William John Hitchcock (b. 1888), Ellen Kathleen Hitchcock (b. 1892) and Alfred Joseph Hitchcock (b. 1899)
- died 12/Dec/1914 aged 52
- born 1864
- married in 1906 to Sophia Magdalen Scholles (b. 1882)
- likely died 1949 aged 84
- born 1866
- married 02/Oct/1892 to Stephen Fitzpatrick (b. ~1869)
- probably had 4 children, with only Ellen Fitzpatrick (b. 1898) surviving beyond infancy
- likely died 1899 aged 31
- born 1869
- married 29/Apr/1889 to James Arthur Rhodes (b. 1865) and migrated to South Africa
- mother of Anne Maude Rhodes (b. 1891), Arthur Charles Rhodes (b. 1892), Dorothy Natalie Rhodes (b. 1901) and Cecil John Rhodes (b. 1907)
- died 01/Sep/1956 in Durban, South Africa
- born 1872
- likely married in 1896 to Albert Kipping
- mother of William Charles Kipping (b. 1888), Lilly Katherine Kipping (b. 1897) and May Emma Kipping (b. 1900)
- died 26/May/1909 aged 37
- likely died 1891
Joseph is living at home in Stratford with parents and siblings.
- address: Maryland Point, Stratford.
- Charles Hitchcock (50), occupation: fishmonger
- Sarah Hitchcock (31), wife
- Sarah Hitchcock (17), daughter
- Susannah Hitchcock (17), daughter
- Joseph Hitchcock (10), son
- Charles Hitchcock (2), son
- Mary Hitchcock (1), daughter
Joseph is living at home in Stratford with parents and siblings, and is now a fishmonger.
- address: Maryland Point, Stratford
- Charles Hitchcock (aged 60) — occupation: fishmonger
- Sarah Hitchcock (aged 41) — wife
- Susannah Hitchcock (aged 28) — daughter
- Joseph Hitchcock (aged 21) — son, occupation: fishmonger
- Charles Hitchcock (aged 12) — son, occupation: scholar
- Mary E. Hitchcock (aged 10) — daughter, occupation: scholar
- Enoch Hitchcock (aged 6) — son, occupation: scholar
- Sarah Hitchcock (aged 28) — daughter
- address: 80 Windmill Lane, Stratford
- Joseph Hitchcock (aged 42) — head, occupation: greengrocer (employing 2 men)
- Ann Hitchcock (aged 44) — wife
- Alfred Hitchcock (aged 10) — son
- Charles Hitchcock (aged 18) — son
- Ellen Hitchcock (aged 4) — daughter
- Emma M. Hitchcock (aged 2) — daughter
- John Hitchcock (aged 6) — son
- Joseph Hitchcock (aged 14) — son
- Mary Hitchcock (aged 17) — daughter
- William Hitchcock (aged 8) — son
- address: 46 Manbey Grove, Stratford
- Joseph Hitchcock (aged 52) — head, occupation: green grocer
- Annie Hitchcock (aged 54) — wife
- Ellen Hitchcock (aged 14) — daughter
- Emma Hitchcock (aged 12) — daughter
- Kate Hitchcock (aged 9) — daughter
- Mary Hitchcock (aged 26) — daughter
Marriage Certificate (22/Dec/1851)
- On their marriage certification (1851), Joseph's profession is given as "General Dealer".
- The 1851 Census lists the Hitchcocks living near (or perhaps next door) to bricklayer Patrick Mahoney and his family. Although no link has been found, Patrick is the right age to be the brother of Sylvester Mahoney (b. ????).
- Despite Ann Mahoney apparently being Catholic, the marriage was a Church of England Anglican ceremony ("according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church, after banns").
- Donald Spoto states the witnesses to the marriage — Cornelius and Michael — were brothers but this seems to be an assumption rather than a known fact. There were several families with a similar surname (Queenland/Quinland/Quinlan) living in Stratford at that time. In 1851, Cornelius was living with his parents but working as a fruit seller and Michael was living on Maryland Point, which was where Joseph was living at the time.
- No 1861 Census entry found, although son Charles Joseph is living with Ann's mother. It seems some of the 1861 Census registers for the area are lost.
- Listed in the 1874 Essex Post Office Directory as a greengrocer at 80 Windmill Lane, New Town, Stratford.
Notes & References
- Death registered Q4 1857 West Ham.
- Possibly died 1854 [reg. Q2 1854 West Ham].
- Birth registered Q1 1841 West Ham.
- Marriage registered Q4 1851 West Ham.
- Cridge was born 17/Dec/1817 in Bratton Flemming, Devonshire, and became dean of British Columbia in 1959. See http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/en/article/edward-cridge/ and http://www.stjohnse15.co.uk/christchurch/
- This was most likely Cornelius Quinland. Born around 1831 in West Ham, son of labourer John Quinland (b. ~1809) & Ann Quinland (b. ~1811), both born locally. Worked as a fruit seller (1851 Census) and general dealer (1881/1891 Census). At the time of Joseph and Ann's wedding in 1851, he was living with his parents at 5 James Place, Stratford. Married 1853 to Elizabeth Gleesing (b. ~1828) who was born in Tipperary, Ireland [reg. Q3 1853 West Ham]. He died 1901 aged 70 [reg. Q2 1901 West Ham]
- This was most Michael Quinland. Born around 1823 in Stratford. Married in 1844 Margaret Henessy, daughter of Eleanor Henessy (b. ~1775), and had at least 8 known children. [reg. Q2 1844 West Ham. Worked as coal whipper (1851 Census) and dock labourer (1871/1881 Census). At the time of Joseph and Ann's wedding in 1851, Michael was living in Gilby's Alley, Maryland Point, Stratford. By 1871, he had moved to Deans Court, Stratford. He died 1903 aged 79 [reg. Q3 1903 West Ham].
- Death registered Q3 1881 West Ham.
- Birth registered Q4 1852 West Ham.
- Death registered Q2 1915 Holborn.
- Birth registered Q4 1854 West Ham.
- Marriage registered Q4 1881 West Ham.
- Birth registered Q1 1857 West Ham.
- Marriage registered Q2 1880 Pancras.
- Death registered Q3 1897 Bethnal Green.
- Birth registered Q3 1860 West Ham.
- Marriage registered Q2 1888 West Ham.
- Death registered Q4 1926 Greenwich.
- Birth registered Q4 1862 West Ham.
- Marriage registered Q4 1887 West Ham.
- Death registered Q4 1914 Southwark.
- Birth registered Q4 1864 West Ham.
- Marriage registered Q3 1906 St. Olave Southwark.
- Death of John S. Hitchcock registered Q1 1949 Wandsworth.
- Birth registered Q4 1866 West Ham.
- Death of Ellen Fitzpatrick registered Q3 1899 West Ham.
- Birth registered Q1 1869 West Ham.
- Birth registered Q1 1872 West Ham.
- Marriage registered Q1 1896 West Ham.
- Death of Katherine Kipping registered Q2 1909 West Ham.
- Death registered Q1. 1891 West Ham.
- See http://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/marriages.htm for further details.